- “Prof. McCaskey is very skillful at leading exciting, in-depth, & productive discussions. He encourages everyone to participate equally & is open to many viewpoints. Cares about students’ learning & respects their views. He made everyone comfortable.” “Best course I’ve taken in a long time. Best professor, too!”
- “Incredibly talented & approachable.” “A+"
- “I really appreciated the professor’s prompt feedback and help on essay topics.”
- “He kept individual contact with each student and inspired you to learn and research for your own interests.” “Excellent Class.”
- “Thorough knowledge of course material, passionate about the subject.” “The best history course I’ve taken here at Stanford. Do it again!”
- “perfect” “Somebody should give McCaskey tenure. This was the best course I’ve taken at Stanford.”
- “Very interesting course overall-my first course on the history of science, and I really enjoyed it.”
- “One of the best courses I have ever taken at Stanford. Thank you.”
- “This course was very interesting. It was a wonderful insight into how history is written.”
This is all (not a sample) of students’ ratings and free-form comments about the professor and the history course, “Revolutionary Scientific Ideas,” a seminar I taught a couple times while a grad student at Stanford. The students ranged from sophomores to graduate students. The highlighting is mine.